Psoriasis: Causes And Treatment
- 14 05
Psoriasis is a common skin disease affecting 2 to 3 percent of total world population. It is a chronic, but non-contagious disease caused by the genetic inheritance and malfunction of immune system. Immune system of the affected person reacts causing skin inflammation and flaking.
Normally skin cells grow slowly and take about 4 weeks to flake off, but in psoriasis skin cells grow quickly in few days. The new layer of skin grows into silvery scales which are itchy and dry with red patches that can be painful. These patches can range in size and can appear anywhere on the body, but mostly seen on knees, elbows, scalp, hands, feet, or lower back. Psoriasis is generally found in children and teens. There are various types of psoriasis that include - plaque psoriasis, nail, scalp’ guttate, inverse, pustular, erythrodermic and psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriasis can appear in different ways. It can be as mild as a rash on small area or can be as severe as getting bigger rashes that almost make a reddish patch on the skin. Whether moderate or severe, the skin gets inflamed with raised red skin covered with loose, silvery scaling skin. In severe psoriasis, skin becomes tender, itchy and forms large patches which might be uncomfortable.
There are cases where psoriasis causes joints to swell, pain and becomes tender which is often called psoriatic arthritis. It can also affect fingernails and toenails, causing nails to pit, decolorize or separate out from the nail bed.
There is no way that you can prevent psoriasis, but yes you can subdue the symptoms’ severity.
- Before any prescription from the doctor, in the first place, for any given disease do discuss your case history. Avoid medicines containing beta blockers and lithium.
- Keep skin moist. Do take bath regularly and use moisturizers
- Avoid cold and dry climates. Hot, humid and sun can improve symptoms of some certain type of psoriasis.
- Try to avoid itching, injuries and picking of skin.
- Keep yourself away from stress and anxiety.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
Medicinal And Topical Treatments:
Psoriasis cannot be cured, but can be controlled with help of few treatments like ointments, oral medicines and phototherapy.
For mild psoriasis cream, ointments and lotions help to moisturize the skin. But some exposure to sunlight will also be helpful.
Some topical medicines often prescribed by doctors for psoriasis include Calcipotriene, corticosteroids like betamethasone, anthralin and coal tars, salicylic acid and retinoids such as tazarotene.
There is a treatment called occlusion therapy. In this treatment moisturizers or medicated cream is applied on the affected area and then it is wrapped with tape, fabric or plastic. This keeps the skin moist and increases the effect of the cream. But do consult your dermatologist before going for this treatment.
You can try using one medicine in weekdays and other in the weekend. This treatment is followed if you are using more than one topical cream to prevent side effects of strong medicines.
Phototherapy includes treatments like exposure to the sun, controlled doses UVB, narrowband of UVB therapy, photochemotherapy or psoralen plus ultraviolet A (PUVA).
People affected by psoriasis often look for natural therapies like sunlight and sea-water. That is why large numbers of psoriasis patients prefer going to the Dead Sea to let salty water treat psoriasis. Besides a bath in natural, hot sulphur water springs is also considered good for.
Post a comment
You Might Interested In
- Natural Ways to Care for Skin While Young
- A quote says “Beauty is only skin deep”....
- How to Get Rid Of Skin Discoloration Naturally
- Skin discoloration is a common problem that is...
- How To Avoid Getting Bags Under Your Eyes
- Nobody wants to see baggy eyes when facing a...
- How To Tan Naturally Without Burning
- Suntans are considered to be attractive for a...
- Top 5 Mistakes While Treating Acne
- Acne can be upsetting - very upsetting especially...
- Does exercise really cure back pain
- Meditation is the best exercise to get rid of back pain. There...
- By : piercen bell
- What causes dry cracked heel
- While one of the main causes of dry, cracking skin is the arid...
- By : piercen bell
- Saffron, Kesar, kumkumapoo - Health Benefits
- i am asthama patient. how van i use kesar. it is good for my...
- By : velayil
- Pros and Cons of Consuming Beans in your Daily...
- I eat beans regularly, I don't gain weight and I can eat as much...
- By : Em