What Are The Causes Of Back Pain
- 22 04
Back pain is a very common complaint among many individuals across the world. It affects not just a particular age group but both the young and the old. However, it occurs more frequently to people who are 35 to 50 years old.
Is back pain a diagnosis in itself?
Back pain can be painful and bothersome, which is why it is the most popular reason for absence from work in many countries. And while it can be a hindrance to productivity, it is usually not serious or fatal. People also have to be aware that back pain itself is not a diagnosis or a disease, but is rather a manifestation of underlying conditions such as disease or injury.
There are certain factors and conditions that would predispose a person to having back pain. Most of these are controllable factors and can be averted when there is conscious effort. These are the following:
- Vigorous physical activity or exercise
- Wrong execution of physical exercise
- Inactive lifestyle
- Gender (more common in females than in males)
When back pain is accompanied by other signs and symptoms, the attention of a medical professional must be sought immediately. These signs and symptoms are the following:
- Inflammation (redness, swelling, tenderness, warmth)
- Fecal and urinary incontinence
- Unexplained weight loss
- Back pain that is not alleviated by rest or medication
- Dysuria (difficult urination)
- Pain from the back radiates to knees and farther
When these symptoms are present, it’s very important to seek medical consultation immediately in order to prevent the worst from happening. The back may seem to be a strong and invulnerable part of the body, but unresolved spinal problems can be irreversibly damaging.
The causes of back pain
The back may seem like one solid and sturdy wall-like structure, but it’s actually composed of bones, ligaments, disks, tendons, and muscles which are cushioned by cartilages. Any disruption or injury to any of these components will most likely result in back pain.
Strained ligaments and muscles, for example, are among the very common causes of back pain. This can happen when a physical action or task is improperly executed, or when a person lifts something that is too heavy. Muscle spasms also cause back pain.
Aside from strain on the back and muscle spasms, back pain can also be caused by a number of disease conditions like ruptured disks, bulging disks, arthritis, sciatica, abnormal curvature of the spine, and osteoporosis.
Other causes of back pain
Using proper body mechanics is one of the simplest ways to take care of the back. Performing certain tasks without taking body mechanics into consideration will usually cause back pain. Examples include picking up something from the floor without flexing the knees, or lifting heavy things without stabilizing the feet into a correct angle. Poor posture is also a cause of back pain, especially when one is crouched for a prolonged period or has been bending over for extended durations.
Post a comment
You Might Interested In
- Top Ten Ways To Burn A Hundred Calories
- Low calorie diets are based upon a very simple...
- Getting The Correct Nutrition When You Are Pregnant
- It is very important for all of us to stay fit...
- Ankle Injury Treatments That Work
- If you have ever suffered an ankle sprain, then...
- Tips For Alleviating And Preventing Arthritis
- As we get older our bodies will naturally start...
- Nebulizers - How They Work
- A nebulizer is an easy to operate machine that...
- Does exercise really cure back pain
- Meditation is the best exercise to get rid of back pain. There...
- By : piercen bell
- What causes dry cracked heel
- While one of the main causes of dry, cracking skin is the arid...
- By : piercen bell
- Saffron, Kesar, kumkumapoo - Health Benefits
- i am asthama patient. how van i use kesar. it is good for my...
- By : velayil
- Pros and Cons of Consuming Beans in your Daily...
- I eat beans regularly, I don't gain weight and I can eat as much...
- By : Em